Who doesn’t turn to beans on toast during a time of need? But instead of reaching for the can, try making this at home.
- 2 x 400g tins borlotti or haricot beans
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes or passata
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 100g dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices good quality bread, toasted
- Drain the tinned beans or, if using dried beans, soak overnight and rinse thoroughly before draining.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan to medium and fry off the onion and garlic for about five minutes, but do not let it brown.
- Add the tomatoes, spices, sugar, vinegar and seasoning and give a good stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the beans and cook on a simmer for at least 30 minutes, but two hours would be even better. If the sauces reduces, add some water.
- Serve on toast. This is even better the next day and makes for a great breakfast.
Tip: Serve with sliced or smashed avocado or grate some Parmesan over the top before serving.