This recipe from the team at The Ballymore Inn in Kildare is perfect for summer barbecues or a midday brunch.
"This is best eaten outside, in the warm company of sunshine on a fine summer’s day, with lots of good bread on hand to mop up the dressing" – The Ballymore Inn
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 x 200g West Cork buffalo halloumi cheese
- 4 tablespoons well-seasoned flour, with a pinch of cayenne
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
For the tomato and avocado salsa:
- 8 vine tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled, chopped
- 2-3 shallots, diced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Slice the cheese into 16 slices. Coat each slice in the seasoned flour.
- Mix the tomatoes, avocados, shallots and chilli together in a salad bowl.
- In another small bowl, mix the capers, lime juice and zest, garlic, coriander, olive oil and seasoning, and mix well. Add half the dressing to the tomato and avocado salsa and mix well together.
- When you’re ready to serve, heat a large heavy pan, add the olive oil and fry the slices of halloumi until golden brown on each side, serve straight away on warmed plates with the remaining dressing poured over and the salsa on the side.
TIP: The quality of the halloumi matters and we love this one from Macroom in Cork. The salsa also works well with fish or burgers.