When I moved to Boston in `99 this was one of the ﬁrst things that took me by surprise - grilling a sambo on a pan - but like most great ideas the best are usually the most obvious and simple.
- 2 slices sourdough or bread of choice
- 50g butter, room temperature
- 1-2 tablespoons onion jam, or to taste
- 50g rocket leaves
- 100g cooked chicken
- 2 slices brie cheese
- 4 cherry peppers (or ‘Peppadew peppers`, widely available in jars), sliced
- Butter the two slices of bread.
- On the un-buttered sides spread on the onion jam (desired quantity).
- To one slice add the leaves, then the chicken, brie slices and cherry peppers. Top with the second slice, butter-side up, so that the two outside exposed sides are covered with butter.
- Heat a heavy based non-stick frying pan.
- Place onto the pan and grill until golden brown on both sides, about two minutes each side. Repeat for a further minute each side or until the cheese is just starting to melt and both sides are deep golden and crispy.
Tip: The fillings can be as varied as your imagination will take you... serve with chips and coleslaw.