These dainty little cakes are perfect for parties or afternoon tea
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- A few drops vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 jar raspberry jam
- 1 block marzipan
- 500g icing sugar
- 75ml water
- Food colouring
- To make the sponge, pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm square baking tin.
- Beat butter and caster sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and then add the eggs one at a time until combined. Fold in the flour. Pour into prepared baking tins and bake for 20–25 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Gently cut the top off the sponge to flatten it, then slice the sponge horizontally.
- Next, spread a thin layer of raspberry jam on the bottom layer and sandwich it with the top layer.
- Roll out the marzipan to about 3mm thickness. Spread jam on the top layer and place the marzipan on top. Refrigerate for 1–2 hours.
- Cut the sponge into 4cm squares and place them on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, whisk the icing sugar and water (a little bit at a time) until you have a smooth, pourable consistency.
- Separate into three or four bowls (depending on how many colours you want) and add a few drops of desired food colouring to each.
- Next, pour the icing over your sponge squares and allow to set. Ice some bows on the tops of each with a piping bag, or just drizzle on top to finish.
Tip: Refrigerating the cake after the marzipan is placed on top in step 5 will make it a lot easier to cut.