These gorgeous recipes from Neven Maguire celebrity chef and brand ambassador for the Dunnes Stores Simply Better collection are ideal for Valentine’s Day.
Organic Irish Salmon & Asparagus Wraps with Basil Pesto
2 Simply Better Fresh Organic Irish Salmon Darnes
4 slices of Simply Better Italian Prosciutto Di Parma
1 tbsp Simply Better P.D.O. Terra Di Barri Bitonto Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp Simply Better Italian Made Pesto Alla Genovese with PDO Genovese Basil
6 asparagus spears, trimmed
2 fresh dill sprigs
Juice of half a lemon
Freshly ground black pepper
Lightly dressed mixed salad, to serve
Simply Better Hand Cut Irish Garlic Roasting Potatoes, to serve
Lemon wedges, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F / Gas Mark 5).
2. Blanch the asparagus spears in a pan of boiling salted water for 1 minute. Drain and quickly refresh under cold running water, then tip into a bowl of ice-cold water to cool completely. Drain well and pat dry on kitchen paper.
3. Season each salmon darne with pepper and arrange three asparagus spears, trimming them down as necessary, and a dill sprig on top of each fillet. Lightly wrap two slices of Prosciutto Di Parma around each bundle and place in a shallow non-metallic dish, then add a squeeze of lemon juice.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the butter. Once it stops foaming, add the salmon wraps presentation-side down and cook for 4-5 minutes all over to seal. Transfer to the oven and roast for another 8 minutes, until the salmon wraps are cooked through.
5. To serve, arrange the salmon wraps on warmed serving plates and spoon some of the basil pesto to one side. Add some of the mixed salad to each plate and have a separate warmed dish of the garlic potatoes and lemon wedges for the table.
The perfect steak
- 1 Pack of Simply Better 28 Day Matured Irish Angus Striploin Steaks
- Simply Better Cold Pressed Irish Rapeseed Oil
- Simply Better Hand Cut Irish Garlic Roasting Potatoes, to serve
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- Knob of butter
1. Remove the packaging from your Simply Better Irish Angus Steaks and allow the steaks to breathe
at room temperature for a minimum of 10-15 minutes before cooking.
2. Drizzle a little rapeseed oil over the steaks and season with sea salt and black pepper just
3. Preheat a heavy-based pan over a high heat. Sear the steaks on both sides, reduce the heat to medium and cook for time indicated below depending on your preference: RARE: 2 – 4 minutes each side; MEDIUM: 4 – 5 minutes each side; WELL DONE: 5 – 6 minutes each side.
4. Add the garlic, thyme and butter to the pan close to the end of the cooking time and allow the butter to foam a little. Use this to baste the steaks.
5. Transfer the steaks to a plate and leave to rest for 2-3 minutes then serve with the Simply Better Hand Cut Irish Garlic Roasting Potatoes.
Brought to you in partnership with Dunnes Stores Simply Better