- 300ml/10fl oz pouring cream
- 100ml/3.5fl oz espresso coffee
- 4 egg yolks
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Shortbread biscuits, to serve
- Put the cream into a small saucepan and bring it to the boil. Once boiled, add the coffee. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until they are light and creamy.
- Pour the boiled cream and coffee mixture in on the whisked eggs and sugar and whisk well until properly combined. Allow to rest for a few minutes until the froth settles or, alternatively, scoop the froth off.
- Choose 4-6 ovenproof coffee cups or bowls. Preheat oven to 150ºC/300ºF/ gas mark 2. Carefully pour the egg custard into the ramekins.
- Place the cups in a deep roasting tray and fill it with water about half-way up the side of the ramekins. Bake for approximately 35-45 minutes until set but still containing a slight wobble. Allow to cool down and then refrigerate until required.
- Glaze with a little brown sugar and then pop them under the grill or glaze with a chef’s blowtorch and serve with some shortbread biscuits.
Recipe by Edward Hayden