Cupcakes are really popular now and are great for all entertaining needs from a children’s birthday party to a stylish wedding. These tangy lemon cakes are sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Makes approx. 12 cupcakes
- 8oz/225g butter (softened)
- 8oz/225g caster sugar
- 12oz/350g self raising flour
- 4-5 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon curd
- 6oz/175g softened butter
- 12oz/350g icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dessertspoon boiling water
- Yellow food colouring (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Fill a 12 cup muffin tray with muffin papers.
2. In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until they are light and fluffy. Add in the eggs to the mixture.
3. Sieve the flour into the buttery mixture. Return the mixture to the machine and continue to cream the mixture together lightly until a smooth dropping consistency has been achieved.
4. Divide the mixture between the 12 muffin cases and pop the tray into the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool whilst making the butter icing topping.
5. For the topping, place the softened butter and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl with the vanilla essence and cream until light and fluffy. Add in the boiling water to get an extra smooth and light consistency. Add some yellow food colouring, if desired, to give an extra yellow kick to the icing.
6. Remove a small piece of the bun from the top of each, using a sharp knife. Using a piping bag, pipe some lemon curd into the hole and then, using the same piping bag pipe a large swirl of icing on top of each cupcake. Store in an airtight container until required.
Recipe Credit: Edward Hayden
Photography: Brian Clarke at Harry Weir