The perfect recipes for when you need a quick boost of fruit and veg in the morning.
Looking for a refreshing start to the day? As much as we’d love to sit down to a frittata and a cappuccino before work every morning, most of us just don’t have the time to get our healthy eating on - even during lockdown.
Thankfully breakfast smoothies are here to save the day. They're healthy, delicious, quick and easy to make, full of goodness, and are perfect at any time of the day. Simply throw a handful of ingredients in the blender and 30 seconds later, you're sipping on a perfect combo.
It's time to dust off your blender and get creative in your kitchen because the sky truly is the limit when it comes to all things blended. So to get you started, we've rounded up some smoothie recipes straight from our favourite food bloggers, chefs and health gurus. Keep scrolling for some serious blended inspiration.
Blueberry and beetroot smoothie
- 50g blueberries
- 1 sweet red apple
- 1 large beetroot, raw and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 250ml water
- Remove any stalks from the blueberries and put in the blender.
- Top and tail any stalks or roots off the beetroot and cut into quarters, and add with the
blueberries and apple.
- Add in the fresh ginger and water, and blitz until smooth. Drink immediately or decant into
a flask for later.
To read the full recipe courtesy of Hugo Arnold, click here.
Glow green smoothie
- 400ml coconut water
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 avocado
- 50g spinach
- 40g kale
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
Remove the stalks from the kale and add the leaves to your blender.
Pour in the coconut water and add in the spinach, banana and cashew butter. Scoop the avocado from its skin and add it in too.
Blend on high until smooth and vibrant green. Store in the fridge for up to two days, just shake it before serving as it separates.
To read the full recipe courtesy of Little Green Spoon, click here.
Lemon and ginger shot
- 1 lemon
- 1 nub of ginger
- 2 spoons of water - if you're blending
- Squeeze out the lemon juice into a glass
- Peel the ginger
- Grate the ginger into the glass
- If you're feeling brave, knock it back at this point
- If not, add in your water and blend in your blender
- Drink straight away and feel the burn
To read the full recipe courtesy of Niamh O'Sullivan, click here.
Detox mojito juice
- ½ cucumber
- 1 handful kale
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 small bunch mint
- 2 green apples
- 1 dash lime juice
- Add all the ingredients to a juicer and blend until smooth. Serve over ice with a wedge of lime.
To read the full recipe courtesy of Sprout & Co., click here.
Irish berry blast
200ml skimmed milk
1 scoop low-fat vanilla ice-cream
125ml carton low-fat strawberry yoghurt
125g mixed raspberries, blackberries, strawberries.
- Put all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until frothy.
- Drink immediately
To read the full recipe courtesy of NDC, click here.
Nutty mango and banana smoothie
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup natural probiotic yoghurt
- 2 mango cheeks
- 1 banana
- Small handful of oats
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- Place all of the ingredients in a smoothie maker or a jug and blend with a handheld blender until smooth.
- If you prefer peanut butter, use that instead but I love the richness that comes from the almond butter.
To read the full recipe courtesy of Donal Skehan, click here.
Best ever strawberry smoothie
- 1 or 2 frozen bananas
- 1 1/2 cup (200g) of frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup (125ml) of milk (add more if you need to)
- 1/4 cup (30g) oats
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- Add ingredients into a high powered smoothie blender.
- Add more milk as needed.
- Top with your favourite toppings like oats, fresh strawberries and bananas, chopped nuts, flax seeds and some sprinkles!
To read the full recipe courtesy of Flahavan's, click here.