This spicy egg dish comes from Arun Kapil, owner of Green Saffron.
"This is a great side for many meals - a great addition to dinner parties" - Arun Kapil
Yield: Serves 4
- 5 good free range or organic hen eggs, hard boiled, peeled & halved
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric & 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds whole
- 2 tablespoons chickpeas, drained from a tin and retain the chickpea water
- 2 fat finger chillies, 1 red and 1 green, deseeded, finely diced, mixed together
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 5 sweet potatoes, 1 sliced into about 12 thin wedges, the other 4 cleaned, left whole
- Sea salt to taste,and a little more
- Large handful flat parsley leaves, picked, finely sliced
- 2 lemons, unwaxed, zest coarsely grated
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled, minced with a little sea salt 150ml fruity olive oil
1. Turn your oven to 180°C / gas mark 4.
2. Meanwhile, scoop out the egg yolks into a food processor, add the chickpeas, mayonnaise, ground coriander and turmeric, then blitz. Decant into a small bowl.
3. Finely dice the egg white of one egg, add to the bowl along with the cumin, half the diced chilli (reserving half for garnish), chia seeds, lemon juice and zest. Fold the ingredients together to a clotted cream texture, adding a little chickpea water if necessary. Pop into a piping bag and generously coat the 8 egg halves, or simply and neatly dollop over the eggs. Cover and set aside in the fridge.
4. Pop the 4 whole sweet potatoes and wedges into a roasting tray, splash with a little oil and roast until soft, about 25 mins. Set aside, keep warm.
5. Mix the parsley, lemon zest, minced garlic, add enough olive oil to produce a pesto type consistency. Set aside.
6. To serve on a large charger, place the sweet potato wedges, tear and split the whole potatoes in half, pop them on too, dot the eggs around, adda few dollops of the green relish, then sprinkle over the diced chilli.
TIP: If you've used a tin of chickpea, mix the remainder in a little oil with a teaspoon of smoked paprika, squeeze of lemon and serve with the meal.