This recipe from Lily Ramirez-Foran combines two of our favourite things: brunch and tequila!
For the salsa:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 65g onion, finely chopped
- 1 green jalapeño, finely chopped
- 400g tomatoes, chopped
- 50ml Cuervo Tradicional
For the eggs:
- 60ml sunflower oil
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 eggs (as fresh as possible)
- Salt, to taste
- Refried beans, warmed
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a pan at over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and chilli and cook for a couple of minutes until the onions are translucent. Add the tomatoes and mix well. Season with salt to taste.
- Once the tomatoes start to soften, add the Cuervo Tradicional and mix well. Continue cooking for a further four minutes until the salsa starts to thicken a bit. Season to taste and set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, heat the sunflower oil to medium-high heat. Place one of the corn tortillas in the hot oil and heat it for about 40 seconds on each side. We want the tortilla to have a bit of a bite, but we don't want it crispy, so be careful not to fry it for too long. Remove the tortilla from the pan and place on a hot plate while you repeat the process with the other tortilla – this is a good time to start heating your beans.
- As soon as both tortillas are ready, fry the eggs in the same oil. Place the fried egg on top of the corn tortilla.
- Reheat the salsa if necessary and pour a generous amount around each egg. Serve the eggs with a side of warm refried beans and top it all up with a sprinkle of feta cheese!
Click here for more Mexican recipes.