This simple focaccia recipe from Paul Breen of The Lovely Food Co. makes for seriously tasty homemade bread
"People think making bread is so complicated, but nothing tastes as good as homemade bread – this is a simple focaccia recipe that never fails. Coronation chicken is a classic and it’s a more interesting way of using up leftover chicken in a sandwich."- Paul Breen
Makes 2 large portions
For the focaccia - makes 1 loaf
- 300ml lukewarm water
- 1 sachet dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 500g strong white or bread flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary, never dried
- 100g Parmesan, optional
For the coronation chicken
- 50g mayonnaise
- 50g crème fraîche
- 50g mango chutney
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh coriander
- 300g cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon toasted flaked almonds
- To make the focaccia, in a bowl mix the water with the yeast and the sugar – this needs about 10 minutes to activate so set aside. Place your flour in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast mix. Mix well until you have a smooth dough. Cover with a clean tea-towel and allow to double in size – this works best in a warm place. Try on top of your oven or fridge. Knock it back to remove the air and set aside again.
- Prepare your tray by coating with oil and dusting with flour. Add the dough mix and push into the edges, and stick your fingers in to make cavities everywhere. Sprinkle on the sea salt, rosemary and Parmesan. Allow to prove in the tray for 15 minutes, then bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC/ gas mark 6 for 15 minutes.
- To make the coronation chicken, in a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, crème fraiche and chutney with the lime juice, add the curry powder and coriander. Mix in the chicken and almonds.
- To make the sandwich, slice the focaccia and fill with the chicken mix and your leaves of choice.
TIP - Add tomatoes to the focaccia recipe before baking. Ideally make this sandwich up the morning of consumption as the bread will go soft.
Recipe credit: Paul Breen of The Lovely Food Co