- 1 bottle of a fresh red wine, like a Beaujolais
- 500ml Orpen’s Irish cider
- 150ml Bertha's Revenge Irish Gin
- 200ml water
- 3 tbsp Irish honey
- 3 star anise
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange and 1 lemon, sliced and studded with cloves
- Place all the liquid ingredients in a pot and stir. Put a lid on and leave on a low heat for at least one hour but ideally three.
- Place half of the orange and lemon slices in the pot and throw the lid back on. Reduce the heat to very low and allow to cook for 15 minutes. Ladle each serve into a mug over a tea strainer and garnish with an orange or lemon slice.
A dash of a spicy gin cuts through the wine and cider, smoothing out all the tannins and giving the recipe a little more heat and depth.