For the mulled wine
- 200ml red wine
- 100g light brown sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Quarter tsp all spice
- 1 orange, sliced
For the mulled wine sauce
- 100ml juice from the cherries
- The mulled wine
- 1 tbsp arrowroot with 2 tbsp cold mulled wine, to thicken
- For the base
- 15 digestive biscuits, crushed finely
- Half tsp ground ginger
- 1 orange, zest only
- 100g melted butter
For the filling
- 3 tbsp butter
- 75g raisins
- 2 medium apples, peeled and diced
- Half tsp ground cinnamon
- Generous pinch of nutmeg
- 60ml soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp rum
- 400g cream cheese
- 120g caster sugar
- 1 orange, juice only
- 100ml cream
- 2.5 gelatine leaves, soaked in 120ml cold water
- 200ml cream, lightly whipped
- 200g cherries in syrup, drained and roughly chopped
- Orange zest, to decorate
To prepare the mulled wine
- Add the red wine, sugar, orange, allspice, cinnamon and star anise to a saucepan and simmer gently until the flavours blend. Remove from the heat.
To prepare the mulled wine sauce
- Add the cherry juice to the mulled wine.
- Dissolve the arrowroot in the cold mulled wine and add to the saucepan.
- Return to the heat and stir until the liquid begins to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
To make the base
- Line the base and sides of a 20cm springform baking tin with parchment.
- Place the crushed biscuits, ground ginger and orange zest into a bowl. Pour over enough melted butter to cover the ingredients and mix well then spoon into the base of the springform tin, flattening with the back of a spoon. Leave in the fridge to set for half an hour.
To make the filling
- Combine the apple, butter, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and rum, and cook over a low heat until the apple is softened. Leave to cool completely.
- Heat the 100ml of cream in a saucepan until hot. Squeeze out the excess water from the gelatine leaves and whisk it into the hot cream until smooth and dissolved.
- Whisk together the cheese, caster sugar and orange juice together, as well as the warm cream, with the gelatine and fold in the whipped cream.
- Stir the raisin and apple mix together with the cherries. Spoon the mixture into the biscuit base and leave in the fridge for at least three hours.
- To serve, carefully unlock the springform tin, place on a cake stand or pretty platter, drizzle with the mulled wine sauce and finish with the zest of an orange.