This chickpea flour tortilla recipe comes from The Camping Cookbook.
While you can make this recipe at home, this dish is perfect for making over a campfire.
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- Rosemary or other herbs of your choosing, to taste, optional
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soffritto (finely diced onions, carrots and celery)
- 4 big champignon mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 1 stove
- 2 pans
- Knife and chopping board
- 1 long handle spoon
- In a bowl mix together the chickpea flour and salt (if you have herbs, add them now). Slowly add a bit of the water, whisking all the time, until you get a smooth paste (NO lumps!).
- Slowly add the rest of the water and keep whisking till you get a watery batter. Rest for at least 10 min to fully hydrate the chickpea flour.
- While the batter is resting, finely chop the mushrooms. Then fry the soffritto in a skillet, in the olive oil, then add the mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms for a couple of minutes, then add the batter and cover the skillet with a lid. Cook on a low flame, taking a peek every now and then, until the liquid is almost dry. Then flip the tortilla and continue cooking it until the pancake is cooked on both sides.
- Turn onto a plate, season well, and serve while hot.
TIP: Make sure the pan is well oiled, or the tortilla can stick to the bottom. To flip the tortilla, cover the pan with a plate, then quickly turn both together to invert the tortilla onto the plate, cooked side up. You'll probably need to add a fresh glug of olive oil to the pan, and heat it up again. Then slip the inverted tortilla from the plate back into the pan, uncooked side down.
Recipe extracted from The Camping Cookbook by Sara Mutande and Andrea Lo Vetere, Beatnik Publishing, £12.99.