This recipe from Louise Lennox make a great canapé.
"I invented this recipe one evening when a few friends called over. I had absolutely nothing to give them to eat. I grabbed whatever ingredients I had in my fridge and put them all in my food processor. I was surprised at how delicious they were. Whenever anyone tastes them, they always ask for the recipe so here it is"- Louise Lennox
- 400g chicken fillets
- 200g chorizo, good quality
- 1 small mango, very ripe
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 75g dried cranberries
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1.25kg puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Chop up the chicken fillets and chorizo. Then place into a food processor and blend until they are well combined.
- Peel, remove the stone and cut the mango into small pieces. Purée in the food processor. In a large bowl, mix together the meat, mango, breadcrumbs and cranberries. Season.
- On a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a 45cm long x 30cm wide rectangle. Then cut into three pieces 15cm long.
- Break the egg into a small bowl, add the water. Beat together with a fork to make egg wash.
- Brush the egg wash all over each piece of puff pastry. This can stick the layers together, preventing them from rising properly.
- Divide the meat mixture into three equal amounts. Roll each into a large sausage shape. Place in the middle of the pastry. Fold the pastry around it. Lightly press a fork on the pastry to seal it, and trim. Repeat for the other two pieces.
- Allow to chill in the fridge for at least one hour. Cut into 4cm pieces. Brush the remaining egg wash all over the rolls. Be careful not to let the egg wash drip down the side of the pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Place the rolls into it, leaving some space in-between each one. Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the pastry has puffed up and is golden brown.
TIP: If you can’t get a ripe mango, use four tablespoons of mango chutney instead.