This recipe from AVOCA is simple to make, but has great flavour!
This soup is so delicious that you'll want to eat it every day.
Yield: Serves 4-8
For the celeriac soup:
- 40g butter
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 large head of celeriac, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2-3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock, hot
- Fresh thyme leaves, to taste
- 100ml cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the apple and Stilton scones:
- 450g plain white flour
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- Generous pinch of salt
- 110g butter
- 50-75g Stilton cheese crumbled
- 1 large Bramley apple, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 large egg
- 200ml milk
- 1 tsp snipped chives
Pre-heat oven to 180C / gas mark 6. To make the soup, in a large heavy saucepan, cook the chopped onions in the butter on a very low heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Next, add the diced celeriac, potatoes, celery and hot stock. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until all the vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove from the heat, add the thyme leaves and cream thenliquidise until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as required.
- To make the apple and Stilton scones, place the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl, mix well.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture either by hand or using a food processor until the mixture has the appearance of fine crumbs.
- Gently mix in the crumbled cheese, the chives and the grated apple.
- Next, make a well in the middle and crack in the egg.
- Add 150ml milk and mix until the mixture comes together, adding as much of the remaining milk as required. The dough should not be too wet and sticky.
- Place on a floured surface and using the palm of your hand or a rolling pin gently flatten the dough to a depth of 4cm.
- Cut using a scone cutter, brush with a little lightly beaten egg, place on a lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 10-25 minutes depending on the size of your scones. We like to make round, 4cm scones which usually take about 12 minutes to cook.
Click here to see more from Avoca