F&W Pick: poached eggs with yoghurt and chilli butter
The Little Book of Brunch
Author: Caroline Craig and Sophie Missing
Photography by Haarala Hamilton
Square Peg, €22.40
It’s one of our favourite meals of the week, but we’ll be the first to admit that sometimes, we’re pretty sure we could have recreated our egg dish in the comfort of our own home. While we’re all for the atmospheric experience of dining out early in the weekend, we love this smorgasbord of dining options in this accessible brunch guide. Using ingredients you’ll find in your fridge and cupboard, this cookbook offers the traditional mix of breakfast, lunch and sharing dishes you might expect to find at your favourite brunch spot.
Poached eggs with yoghurt and chilli butter
- 200g Greek yoghurt
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 40g unsalted butter
- ½–1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika, hot or smoked
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 eggs
- Bread, for toasting
- With a spoon, beat together the yoghurt and garlic until smooth. Spoon into two small bowls.
- In a pan over a low heat, melt the butter with the chilli and spices, taking care not to let it burn, until it is red and infused.
- Poach the eggs for 1½ minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Pop the bread into the toaster while the eggs are in the pan.
- Place a poached egg on top of the yoghurt and pour over the chilli butter. Serve with toast for mopping up all the yolk, yoghurt and spicy butter.