- 1 butternut squash
- 2 sticks celery
- 3 leeks
- tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- generous pinch saffron strands
- 600ml light chicken stock
- 4 slices bread, crusts removed and cut into squares
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- zest of one lemon
- Peel, trim and chop the vegetables. Combine in a casserole with the tablespoon of butter and colour over a gentle heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the mustard seeds, saffron, a seasoning of salt and pepper and continue cooking for three minutes. Add the chicken stock, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are just soft. Check seasoning, cool and liquidise.
- Gently saute the bread in the olive oil until golden brown and drain on kitchen paper. Combine the parsley, garlic and lemon zest, which becomes gremolata. Serve the soup in small cups with teaspoons, the croutons and a sprinkling of the gremolata.
Yellow sweet potatoes are also good partnered with saffron. Top with a croute of crispy bread and a slick of pesto