Start your day off with these delicious breakfast muffins.
"Great when you have a crowd and, if not, then a batch can be frozen and warmed through each morning. Commercial muffins are rarely a thing of joy; too often a heap of sugar and too much oil. The focus here is on great breakfast ingredients like yoghurt, banana and oats. Power food." – Hugo Arnold
Yield: Makes: 12
- 2 eggs
- 150ml/5fl oz full-fat natural yoghurt
- 50ml/2oz vegetable oil
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g/7oz wholemeal flour
- 50g/2oz porridge oats, plus a little extra
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 100g/4oz blueberries
- 1 tablespoon each of pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4. Line a muffin tin with muffin cases. Combine the eggs, yoghurt, oil, banana, honey and vanilla. Tip the remaining ingredients into the wet mixture and combine, but don’t over mix or you’ll lose the inherent lightness of a good muffin.
- Spoon into the muffin cases, dust with the extra oats and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown (a skewer should come out clean). Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a rack.