No meat? Occasionally I recognise that in order to lessen the protein intake of my diet, vegetable-based main courses are the only way. Rustic, but also very delicious and seasonal.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 dessertspoon black mustard seeds
- 500g cabbage, thinly sliced
- 500g waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 3cm dice
- 1 cup green lentils
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 litre light chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the mustard seeds. As soon as they start to pop add the cabbage, potatoes and lentils and toss in the oil for five minutes. Add the garlic and chilli and two minutes later the spices. Continue to cook for a further five minutes, tossing everything so they are well coated in the oil.
Pour over the stock, bring to the boil and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked.
Stir in the lemon juice and zest, check seasoning and serve.
Tip: Lentils are rich in protein, a top pulse
Recipe Credit: Hugo Arnold
Photography credit: Harry Weir