A nutritious lunch for all the family.
Yield: Serves: 6
- 400g/14oz each of lean pork and cooked bacon, diced
- 6 or more large beetroot
- 2 large onions
- 1 small celeriac or 2 sticks celery
- 1 leek
- 1 large turnip
- 1 large swede
- 1 or 2 parsnips
- 4 carrots
- 500g/17oz potatoes
- ½ a cabbage
- Haricot or cannelloni beans, soaked overnight, to produce ¾ to one pint
- Olive oil
- 300ml/10oz stock or water
- 1 or 2 tablespoons cornflour
- Plain yoghourt, to garnish (if liked)
- Roughly chop/dice all veg. Sauté onions lightly in oil, then add diced pork and brown all sides. Add vegetables and cook for a few minutes on medium heat, stirring to distribute the oil evenly.
- Add the beans and sufficient stock or water to cover. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, then add the cooked bacon, salt if required, and pepper to taste. Simmer for about 40 minutes until everything is soft.
- Mix cornflour to a paste with cold water in a small bowl or cup, add some of the liquid from the pan to it, stirring, then trickle into the pan, stirring constantly. Adjust thickness to own preference (this can be done after defrosting if preferred).
- When serving, add a dessertspoonful of yoghourt to each bowl.