- 800g blackberries
- 100g brown sugar
- 2 oranges
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 340g self-raising flour
- 60g butter
- 300ml cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat the oven 180ºC/gas mark 4.
- Rinse the blackberries and remove any stalks. Place into a bowl and add 50g brown sugar, juice and rind of the oranges, cinnamon, nutmeg and cornflour. Stir all the ingredients together and place in a 23cm square deep oven dish.
- Sieve the flour and the rest of the sugar together into a bowl. Cut the butter into small chunks, and then rub into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add cream and one egg to the flour mixture. Stir to form a soft, sticky dough. Using a heaped tablespoon, dollop the scone mixture on top of the blackberries until roughly covered. Next, beat together the remaining egg and water, then brush all over the cobbler.
Bake for 20 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Then reduce the temperature to 160ºC/gas mark 21/2 and continue baking for
- This is best eaten warm, straight out of the dish, with clotted cream.
- Milk can be used instead of the cream.
- Raisins can be added to the cobbler topping. Soak 100g of raisins in apple or orange juice overnight. Then after the flour and butter have been mixed together, add in the raisins.