The team at Eathos in Dublin help to kick-start your New Year with this revitalising acaí bowl that is bursting with nutritious ingredients.
"Acaí (pronounced ah-sigh-ee) is a superfood berry that grows in the Amazon rainforest. It is not possible to buy the fresh berries here but Nua Naturals – an Irish company – have an acaí powder which we use for this recipe. The creamy texture comes from the frozen banana; we’d recommend cutting it into chunks before freezing to make it easier to blend. For the granola, you can use any shop bought granola but we make our own at Eathos which is refined sugar and dairy free, which you can buy instore."- the Eathos team
Yield: Serves 1
- 40g frozen banana
- 45g smooth peanut butter
- 450g frozen mixed berries
- 6g acai powder, available in health food shops
- 120ml cold water
- Handful sugar-free granola
- Small handful desiccated coconut shavings
- 1 passion fruit, cut in half
- 30g fresh berries
- Sprinkle bee pollen, available in health food shops
- Sprinkle cacao nibs, available in health food shops
- 3 edible flowers, optional
- Using a blender or any smoothie maker, blitz the frozen banana until smooth. Add the peanut butter and blitz again.
- Add the frozen berries, the acaí powder and the water and continue blending until smooth. You can add more water until the desired consistency is reached. It should have the appearance of thick Greek yoghurt.
- Top with the granola (as much as you like), coconut, passion fruit and berries. Sprinkle over the bee pollen and cacao nibs. Garnish with the edible flowers if using, and serve.
TIP: This is a very popular takeaway option because it keeps well and doesn’t spill, so you can make this an on-the-go snack.
Lisa Murrin opened Eathos on Baggot Street Upper in Dublin in May 2015. Working with head chef, Simon Mooney, together they designed their menu around nutritious, vibrant ingredients with many dishes suitable for those following free-from diets. Open from 7am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday, they serve breakfast, lunch, 3fe coffees and pastries. Saturday they offer all-day lunch and brunch until 4.30pm. Click here to visit the Eathos website.
Read more: Almond and apple bircher bowl
Read more: NutShed peanut butter granola
Click here for more breakfast recipes.