These recipes for delicious hot drinks from Bhim Santoo of Urchin Bar, Cliff Townhouse, St Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2 will warm up your New Year's Eve, or even better, warm you when you need comforting on New Year's Day. Happy New Year everyone!
Hot Buttered Whiskey
- 40ml Teelings Whiskey Small Batch
- 20ml Salted Caramel Syrup
- Spices: ¼ of teaspoon Cloves, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Vanilla pod
- 1 tablespoon unsalted Butter
- Hot Water for top up
- 100ml Star Anise Cream (1 x ground star anise)
- 1 cinnamon stick & some grated orange, to garnish
- Warm the glass by pouring hot water inside it.
- Grind one star anise and whip with fresh cream to make the star anise cream.
- Mix all spices and salted caramel syrup with butter and refrigerate for one hour.
- Place one tablespoon of butter mix with 40ml of whiskey in the warmed glass, add boiling water and stir. Layer the star anise cream on top.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and grated orange.
- 85ml Ruby Port
- 1 lemon wedge or slice
- 4 cloves
- Boiling water
- Lemon peel and 2 cloves, to garnish
- Start by warming up your glass by pouring hot water inside it.
- Prepare the lemon wedge or slice, thick enough so you can spike the cloves in it.
- Pour 85ml of Port into the warm glass and top up with boiling water. Place the lemon wedge with spiked cloves into the port – this will infuse the drink.
- Add the garnish of lemon peel on the top.
You can make a sweeter hot Port by dissolving a little brown sugar or a little honey in the hot water first.
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 orange
- Sugar to taste
- Orange wedges, cinnamon sticks & star anise, to garnish
- Start by squeezing orange juice into a glass through a sieve.
- Prepare a pot, large enough to accommodate one bottle of wine. Pour red wine and all the ingredients in the pot.
- Add sugar and bring to boil and then reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Pour and garnish with an orange wedge, cinnamon stick and star anise.
White Christmas – Christmas Special
- 40ml Marzipan Infused Vodka
- 20ml Mozart White Chocolate liqueur
- 20ml Crème de Cacaco
- 30ml Pouring Cream
- 10ml Sugar syrup
- a handful of coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon vanilla custard
- a couple of cranberries
- Begin by preparing your glass. Dip the rim of a Niki Nora glass into the custard and then coconut flakes.
- Place infused vodka, chocolate liqueur, crème de cacao, cream and sugar into a cocktail shaker.
- Shake hard, strain into a niki nora glass and garnish with cranberries on top.
- We infuse our own Absolute vodka with marzipan.