Waltip pan-fried dumplings
Dumplings are a classic celebratory dish originating in Northern China. To make life easier, it’s best to pick up a small dumpling rolling pin and press from an Asian store to save time. From China Sichuan.
For the pastry:
- 1kg plain flour
- 400ml water
For the filling:
- 100g Chinese leaves
- 400g pork, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5g salt
- 5g potato starch or cornflour
- 6g fresh ginger, purée
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1.5l water
- 500ml sesame oil
The dumpling wraps can also be bought pre-made and frozen.
- Add flour and water to make a dough and knead until smooth. Cover in a damp cloth until ready to use.
- Slice the Chinese leaves and add salt to the leaves. Let it stand for five minutes. Then squeeze until dry and all moisture is removed.
- Dice the leaves into small fine pieces.
- Add all the other ingredients together and mix well.
- Cook half the mixture in a wok with a bit of oil until cooked. Add the rest of the mixture and mix well and set aside. Having a half cooked, half raw mixture allows it to be more malleable for your dumplings, but can also cook the whole mixture at the same time if you prefer.
- Roll out the dough and break into small, thumb-size pieces.
- Take a small piece, roll out and place a teaspoon of the mixture into the centre. Wet the edge with a damp finger and fold the sides together, crimping together with your fingers to seal the contents inside. You can also use a dumpling press. Keep making dumplings until the mixture is used.
- Once almost ready to serve, take a pot of water and bring to the boil. Add dumplings and boil for five to seven minutes.
- Heat a frying pan, add the sesame oil. Pan fry the dumplings on the flat side for seven minutes.
- Serve with a dip of Chinese vinegar and chopped ginger.
Recipe Series: Year of the Goat
Award-winning restaurant China Sichuan share some of their traditional recipes synonymous with Chinese New Year, while Mak at D6 mark their first year in business with a modern take on some party dishes.
Recipes in this series: