This is one of our most popular dishes in the restaurant. Mak at D6 is all about groups of friends and family sharing lots of dishes and this is perfect for that.
- 2 squid tubes, about 170g
- ½ onion
- 2 red chillies
- 2 spring onions
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 pinch 5 spice powder
- 1 pinch 3 star anise
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Slice the squid, onion and chilli into thin rings.
- Chop the spring onions into three pieces each.
- For the spicy salt and pepper mix, add salt, pepper, 5 spice powder, sugar and star anise and mix together.
- Heat up a wok with oil or a deep fryer if you have one until very hot.
- Dip the squid rings into the potato starch to coat them.
- Add the squid to your deep fryer and cook until golden brown – about 60 seconds.
- Remove the squid from the hot oil and place on kitchen roll.
- In a separate wok, add a teaspoon of oil then add garlic, chilli, onion and spring onion. Add the white wine and sesame oil.
- Fry veg until soft, add your calamari and toss in with veg.
- Finally, sprinkle your salt and pepper mix over your calamari to taste and serve.
Tip: Chinese sausage is a a cured sausage, similar to salami or chorizo but with a different flavour. It can be found in Asian stores.