I love this dish hot or cold – in particular I love to have it as a snack at lunch, cold with homemade ketchup or relish and a green salad.
Serves 8 to 10
- 600g potatoes
- 2 dessertspoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes
- Salt and pepper Parsley, to garnish
- Peel and dice the potatoes. In a large saucepan, bring salted water to the boil. Boil the potatoes for 5 minutes. Drain and cover.
- In the meantime, heat olive oil in a large, ovenproof frying pan. Lightly fry the onions and garlic until translucent. The onions need to be soft and sweet. Remove onions and garlic from the frying pan and set aside. Add more oil and potatoes to the frying pan and lightly fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add the onions and garlic back to the pan.
- Break the eggs into a bowl. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Whisk together lightly and add the cream. Pour over the potatoes and onions and cook over a medium to low heat. Lift the egg mixture from time to time with a small spatula, especially on the sides. Continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes until almost set. Place the sliced tomatoes over the tortilla.
- Place the frying pan into a preheated oven (180°C/gas mark 4). Cook for about 20 minutes until fully soft and the top is browned. Remove from the oven when the top is set (slightly soft). With a knife or small spatula, release the tortilla from the frying pan. Place a plate over the pan and flip over, remove pan. Serve immediately with a sprinkling of parsley on top.
Tip: Make sure to use a non-stick frying pan.