This is such a simple recipe but it’s full of flavour. The cinnamon and spices add a certain ‘je ne sais quoi’ to the recipe and the whole pine nuts lend texture. To keep it nice and light, I serve these in baby gem leaves but they can also be served in pitta bread.
- 400g lamb mince
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- Small bunch parsley, chopped
- 12 leaves baby gem lettuce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeds removed
and finely diced
- 1 bunch mint, stalks removed and finely sliced
- 500g thick Greek style yoghurt, unsweetened
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4.
- Combine lamb and remaining ingredients in a bowl and season to taste. Roll into 12 long sausage shapes, as pictured, or a greater amount of smaller ones depending on how you would like to serve them. Place on an oven tray and bake for about 12 minutes.
- For the minted cucumber yoghurt, stir all the ingredients together, allow to sit for an hour to let the flavours infuse. Serve each kofta in a leaf of baby gem with the yoghurt on the top or on the side.