- 100g bar Dr. Oetker Premium 90% Extra Dark Chocolate
- 25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 50ml (2 fl.oz) double cream
- Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Grinder
- 1 sachet Dr. Oetker Fine Dark Cocoa Powder (25g)
- Break the 90% Extra Dark Chocolate into a heatproof bowl and add the butter. Put the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water and leave to melt. Remove from the water and leave aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Stir in the cream and grind in approximately 20 grinds of Vanilla Grinder and mix well. Leave to cool completely, then cover and chill for about an hour until firm enough to shape.
- Using a teaspoon, take a portion of the truffle mixture and shape between 2 spoons to form a nugget shape approx. 4cm (1 ½ inch) long – if the mixture is too firm to work with, let it stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes to soften slightly. Put the truffle on a plate or board lined with baking parchment. Use up the rest of the mixture to make 14 truffles. Chill for at least 1 hour to firm up.
- To decorate, sprinkle the Cocoa Powder on a plate. Working on one truffle at a time, roll it gently in the cocoa powder using a teaspoon until generously coated. Put the dusted truffle back on the lined plate and continue to coat the other truffles. Keep the truffles in a cool place until ready to serve. For longer storage, keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Tip: If you are packing up the truffles for a gift, use the leftover Cocoa Powder sprinkled in between the truffles to help protect them during transit.
Photography credit: Harry Weir